Gigabytes NVR can record IP and web cameras at megapixel resolutions. With the help of an app, you can now record your phone camera using the Gigabytes NVR.
How did we do it?
First, you have to install a program called IP Webcam from Google Play. There is a pro version that removes ads, etc. but, for testing, we went with the free version.
After that, we configured a few things, played with some settings, but we essentially just pressed start. The video url was http://IP.ADD.RE.SS:8080/video.
We will post this information on our NVR IP Camera Compatibility page.
Neat, huh? Why would anyone do that?
For several reasons.
- Automatic pictures. Let’s say you want pictures of a particular landmark. You can set the NVR on snapshot mode and take 1 picture every second from your phone and send it to your desktop.
- Personal security. With the help of a proxy like the DynDNS client, you can walk around and capture video of a place you are visiting. If you are the victim of a crime, your phone can be a silent witness.
- Phone security. If your phone gets stolen, you will have video of who stole it.
- Dashcam anyone? No need to buy a separate device. Capture your road trip or commute. If your phone is lost or damaged in an accident, you will still have documentation of the crash.
- No more missing out. No more “Man! I wish I had my camera!” moments.
- Baby monitor or home security. No need to buy a camera. Just use an old android device.